Your home is your most valuable asset, and it’s important to protect it from an impending storm. Some changes can be made weeks or months in advance, while some tips are great when the storm is on the way.
In preparation for storm season
Make sure your home is in good repair and meets local hurricane building codes.
- Declutter drains and gutters.
- Trim trees & shrubs. High winds can turn branches into projectiles during a storm.
- Reinforce roof, windows and doors.
- Install storm shutters
- Use flood damage resistant materials to reduce potential property damage caused by floodwaters.
- Consider elevating a new or renovated structure to better protect against floodwaters and/or storm surge.
Storm warnings have been declared
- Bring in outdoor furniture, hanging plants, grills and anything else that is not tied down to prevent injury/damage from debris.
- Know a safe location to move your car during a hurricane.
- Close storm shutters or attach plywood to windows, and secure doors.
#HurricanePrep #ItOnlyTakesOne #HurricaneStrong